



PennState

Student Fee Board

MEETING MINUTES

.....

Date: 9/23/22

Topic: Public Meeting

Present:

- **Voting members:** Lawrence Miller, Xiaoru (Tony) Shi, Jada Quinland, Yidi Wang, Brian Johnson, Conor Kelly, Ava Philips, Sydney Gibbard, Cierra Chandler, Dallas Zebrowski

- **Nonvoting members:** Alexa Clayton, Zander Golden, Jolinda Wilson, Barry Bram

Absent:

- **Voting members:** Najee Rodriguez, Noah Robertson

Agenda:

I. Call to Order and Opening Roll Call

Meeting called to order at 8:02 a.m.

II. Adoption of the Agenda

Motioned, seconded, no objections.

III. Adoption of the Minutes (September 23, 2022)

Motioned, seconded, no objections.

IV. Public Comment

V. Old Business

VI. New Business

A. Handbook Updates

- 1. Change References to University Park Fee Board and UPFB to University Park Student Fee Board and UPSFB**
- 2. General Formatting Fixes**

Lawrence: Currently, references to Fee Board as well as Student Fee Board. I think in every form of outreach, we refer to ourselves as the Student Fee Board, so we should adjust that in the handbook. For general formatting fixes, reds are things to get removed, greens are to be added, yellow are to be adjusted. Under 8.2.18, I fixed the indentation. Then on 2, the categories now start on a new page. I adjust some of the font sizes of the numbers. Any motions to accept the changes?

Motioned, seconded, no objections.

B. Operating Guidelines Updates

- 1. General Formatting Fixes**
- 2. Changing Hearing times to 30 minutes from 45**
 - a) Art. VII**
- 3. Removal of Director of Records**

Lawrence: There are general formatting fixes. I moved Article III to be its own page. Under Article VII, Student Fee Funding Hearings, hearings were changed to lasting 30 minutes, to reflect the will of the Board. As it currently stands, we're just

removing the Director of Records position. As I see it, we'll move their responsibilities to the Director of Communications.

Motioned, seconded, no objections.

Lawrence: The operating guideline changes will be automatically moved to Appendix A. They will become enacted today. The handbook changes will go into effect September 26, after the meeting with the steering committee.

VII. Topics of Discussion

A. Internal Development Committee

1. Process and Purpose

Lawrence: I think we need to all be in agreement of what the ID committee is and what it does. We want to ensure the ID committee does not become a smaller Fee Board. Additionally, for the other committees, I don't want them to become the generators of changes to go to the ID of changing. Starting with our level during our topics of discussions, the changes will be sent to the ID to be drafted, but not for the ideas to be generated. For the committees, if there's something that should be changed, either draft those ideas by yourself or make up a list of changes that should be made (especially if these changes are central to SFB). I think these will make things run easier. As part of the ID committee, a big part will be generating; however, anyone can draft as a slate, or you can bring them up to the main board, then go back and draft them.

Tony: This week, people have a time conflict. The basic thing I did was gather ideas. First thing I wanted to do was draft up the functioning of the committee (e.g.,

communications). I asked Sydney what is the functioning of the Communications committee, and I asked for the opinions of all members. I'll make sure everyone has enough input. My question is, is there a clear cut line around the "generating" aspect?

Lawrence: I think you need to be taking independence as a committee itself to articulate the ideas we're coming up with. For example, if the Communications Committee sends out an outreach, you're going to be ensuring the language as clear as possible, but you wouldn't directly say what that committee's job is.

B. Subject Matter Expert Follow Up

1. In Operating guidelines, Chair reaches out. Should that stay?

Lawrence: In operating guidelines, for reaching out, it says that the Chair reaches out. I personally think that the subject matter experts should reach out instead, as they are going to be the main points of contact. I think we should change the language in the operating guidelines. Are you getting any responses?

Brian: Two Wednesdays from now is our first meeting.

Zander: I've been reaching out to the BJC, but I haven't been getting a response.

Lawrence: Follow up one more time. If he doesn't respond, I'll reach out. Ultimately, these offices should make a priority for us. We should have an open line of communication. This year, we're trying to determine the student fee allocation better, as we expect it to increase.

Sydney: From a UPUA standpoint, I know this was a conversation I had with Noah last year as someone from UPUA and SFB. Any thoughts?

Lawrence: I think that would be a conflict of interest. As for hearings and votings, this depends on when you think that conflict of interest would end. You could probably cc me on all of the emails as well as studentfeepsu@gmail.com. In person will be more complicated because it'll be more efficient to talk about both things at the same time. But we could also transfer the chair position to another person. Any other updates on responses?

Yidi: Another person replied to me, but one person didn't. I reached out to CAPS and the Student Disability Center. CAPS reached out.

Lawrence: Same thing for you. Send one follow up, then I can send one after if there are no responses.

C. Chair election guidelines

1. What kind of majority

Lawrence: Another thing I want to fix is how we elect chairs. In the operating guidelines, it doesn't say what kind of majority is needed. Other places like the actual fee is voted by a simple majority. Any thoughts on what kind of majority the election should be made by? In the past, it was just a simple majority, and I think that it would be fine. Wanted to open up the floor for voting. Any motions to adopt a simple majority for chair elections?

Motioned, Seconded.

Lawrence: Do we also want to change the language when there are three nominations?

Motioned, Seconded. No objections

D. Operating Guideline Changes

1. Let's review, there could be redundancy

Lawrence: One of the general things we want to do is take care of our operating guidelines and handbook. There could be redundancy, and I'm not sure if we want to keep both on purpose. For example, the makeup of the board and how the fee board works. As we go along, I would recommend to look at the handbook and operating guidelines and identify these redundancies. The less redundancies, the less we'll have to fix in later years.

Cierra: If it's in the handbook, it shouldn't be in the operating guidelines?

Lawrence: I think in the upcoming weeks, all we need to do is check for things that don't need to be in both documents. If there are redundancies that can stand to be in both documents, you could also make a note of that. Every word matters, and if the wording is slightly different, it can be viewed as up to interpretation.

E. Enrollment Protection Fee

Lawrence: The enrollment protection fee is a 30 cent fee that's been around for 4 or 5 years. It originally started as a way to round up to a whole number. Then, it

became a source of more fees, in case enrollment was low. I think this is another unnecessary fee. Is this something we still want to maintain within the student initiated fee? Would it be our fault when enrollment is low? Any thoughts?

Barry: This fee has varied throughout the years. The first year was 36 cents. Last year was 74 cents. The fee board didn't know that was an option. The main purpose was to round up to a whole number.

Lawrence: Since we can do cents now, is that something we would consider removing?

Dallas: Point of inquiry. Has this mini fee served its purpose? If we're assuming this is just an extra 30 cents, it may have outlived its purpose.

Barry: It has not been needed. It further goes to carry over funds.

Jolinda: Yes, it does. Barry's right.

Jada: So it goes back to the offices or students?

Barry: It goes to the next fee board.

Brian: Hence, benefitting the students.

Lawrence: I did a presentation for the law students yesterday. One of the questions was about the facility reserve. This enrollment fee is another thing to preserve toward our future. But I don't know if that's our duty.

Jada: I think the cents add up, and if it's coming back, students will be benefitted in the end. The cents may not be noticed, compared to the overall sum.

Lawrence: I think the principle is more important. But like you said, I never knew it existed.

Brian: So because of how tuition increases have transpired, the removal of the fee could send a message of support for the students?

Lawrence: Yes. Plus, the purpose of the fee is no longer valid.

Brian: With the few cents that it is, you can always allocate it at the same time. So in a sense, it would still go toward the students and would serve the SFB.

Sydney: By removing this 30 cent fee, will that be reflected in the next year. If it's in the case of next year, it's worth removing. Contributions to the carry forward reserve is not our purpose. My perspective is that if this is a conversation for next year's board, then I would say to remove it.

Dallas: Anticipating a lot more offices coming to us for funding, if this mini fee comes out, it could cause more problems than solve them.

Barry: We don't need to decide until later. At the most, this probably generates \$25,000.

F. Document of what the fee goes toward

Lawrence: There isn't much documentation of where our fee goes toward and what the timeline is, unless you conduct a deep dive at our website. I don't think it would be a bad idea moving forward to have the offices give to us an itemized list of "here's what your money pays for." I think it would help the students also know the resources that are available. We could get this started next week and add the itemized list to the fee application.

Alexa: For the offices, you want everything that the money pays for?

Barry: More so a general list of estimates. This board is not an allocating body, so you should think broadly about where the money goes toward. Those should be available in the proposals already.

Jada: It's more based on how students can see what they're entitled to because they pay a certain fee.

Lawrence: I wouldn't be worried about the numbers. It's more so focusing on almost an elevator pitch of what students can use. This is something we can talk about in the future as well.

Jada: Did we want to talk about if an office collects the money?

Lawrence: We'll talk about that next time.

Cierra: Would the communications committee be responsible for that?

Lawrence: It could be. We also need to talk about what the Communications Committee does. But that can be done internally.

Sydney: We did have that conversation in ID this week. And how does the Communication's role differ from the Director of Communications? Based on UPUA, Communications gives a perspective, but it does not create materials.

Lawrence: I agree with that. Because the Communications Committee should be a resource for all of the committees.

G. Field Trip to Gender Equity Center (9 AM)

VIII. Committee Chair Reports

A. Communications

Sydney: We'll also set up a meeting to talk about larger plans as well as the items we talked about.

Lawrence: If you could make a short informational document about the Student Fee Board.

Sydney: Do you want graphics or a general document?

Lawrence: Just general, how does it work? A Google slides. Additionally, we have a LinkTree now. It is in the presentations folder. linktr.ee/studentfee.

B. Environment Sustainability Fund

C. Equity Fund

D. Facilities

E. Internal Development

Tony: We'll talk about the functioning of the committee.

F. New Fee Request

Dallas: Point of inquiry. When are the new fee requests due?

Barry: December 9th. The form for the new fee request should be up. Could also add cc Dallas in the new fee request.

G. UPAC Appeals

Brian: I sent a message in our chat. I'll get a meeting invite sent out shortly.

H. UPAC Chair Report

IX. Chair Report

Lawrence: Make sure you're reaching out to your offices and try to get a meeting set up with them. Don't plan around me attending, but send me an invite. Next week, we'll talk about if an office uses money in the fall and spring, which year/semester should they collect from? Lastly, look through the operating guidelines and handbook, see if there are any redundancies. The steering committee is on Monday at 5 pm. It will be recorded, and there will be minutes sent out from there. We've been in contact with the Daily Collegian.

Barry: We want to make sure the new GPSA president is on the new steering committee meeting.

X. UPAC Chair Report

Alexa: No update this week.

XI. Comments for Good of the Order

XII. Closing Roll Call

Meeting adjourned at 9:00 a.m.