



Student Fee Board

MEETING MINUTES

Date: 11/18/22

Topic: Public Meeting

Present:

- **Voting members:** Lawrence Miller, Xiaoru (Tony) Shi, Jada Quinland, Yidi Wang, Brian Johnson, Conor Kelly, Sydney Gibbard, Dallas Zebrowski, Cierra Chandler
- **Nonvoting members:** Alexa Clayton, Zander Golden, Jolinda Wilson, Barry Bram

Absent:

- **Voting members:** Noah Robertson, Ava Philips, Najee Rodriguez

Agenda:

I. Call to Order and Opening Roll Call

Meeting called to order at 8:02 a.m.

II. Adoption of the Agenda

Motioned, seconded.

III. Adoption of the Minutes (November 11th, 2022)

Motioned, seconded.

IV. Public Comment

V. Old Business

VI. New Business

VII. Topics of Discussion

A. Hearings Training

Lawrence: Hearings training will begin next week after Thanksgiving break. Representative will have 15 minutes to speak, 15 minutes for questions. I'll be creating a question guide over the break. The offices should be sending their presentations and proposals. I need OGEEP and CCSG's by Friday. I will also include what I'm looking for.

Main thing we need to do is be stricter. Everyone who got funding last year is not assured funding for this year. Tuition is going up, and health fee is being considered. A are they looking at any outside funding sources? It's not fair to have the student fee increase every year. We need to make sure offices are giving benefits to graduate students and undergraduates. Are they going to use all their money in the semesters funds will be allocated toward them? What kind of roles are they funding? How are they going to be benefitting student life?

Cierra: Speaking of the office, and given the hiring funding (but they don't have the authorization), don't know if that will count against them. It's something to consider and also a question.

Barry: If office is requesting for funding a position, we asked for approval of the next senior-level administrator.

Lawrence: If you have any conflicts of interest, please let me know the week before. I'm having a conversation with Claire tomorrow at 11 am - what her recommendations would be and how the year has been going.

For hearings, make sure you read the materials. Please make sure you have the materials going in.

B. What if people aren't available?

1. Chair Appointment of Vice Chair

Lawrence: Something we may want to do is appoint a vice chair in the case I'm not here for hearings. I should probably look at language for role of vice chair. We could have a weekly-check in for 30 minutes with the vice chair. If there's a runner-up to the chair election, then the vice chair. If not, then an appointment. I think it's also similar for committees.

Lawrence: Next thing is UPAC chair voting rights. In section 1.5.2 of the handbook, you'd remove the asterisk. Also adding "as the leader of the sole allocation board that the UPSFB funds, the Chair of the UPAC is allowed to serve as a voting member of the fee board." We're just discussing, not voting. Do we have any thoughts on that?

Brian: This currently is not the case, who proposed it?

Tony: It was talked about in the first ID meeting. Discussed with Barry and talked about the history. Seeing Sydney (president of UPUA) and Jada (president of GPSA) are voting members, it would make sense to add the UPAC chair. It would also solve the issue of not having a simple majority (as we currently have 12 voting members).

Sydney: I'm curious to hear the 50/50 voting split. How it exists now, is it's however the Chair votes. It may diminish the vote of the Chair. How is the UPAC Chair elected? The rest of us are automatically elected (UPUA and GPSA). All members of SFB are elected at-large by the student body.

Lawrence: The student representation is a student board. UPUA and GPSA are student representatives.

Tony: Any student can join UPAC.

Jada: A lot of the student governments had a lot of resignations this year. Let's say the next GPSA president and vice president are both in the SFB. If the president resigns, then vice president is the next chair. Is there any language of if the Chair resigns?

In case people quit, would GPSA be allowed to appoint someone else, or would that be the SFB?

Lawrence: In case of an at-large member, you would hold interviews. Could look into checking for backups in UPUA and GPSA in the case of resignations.

Brian: I don't think the Chair has any function outside of a skilled mediator. If you have UPAC chair given voting rights, that can reestablish clearcut majority, and may make things more fluid. In context of SFB, when you're elected Chair, you should just be the mediator.

Sydney: Only thing is Lawrence is a GPSA appointee. If he doesn't have voting rights, then GPSA only has one.

Dallas: Is this mediation principle codified?

Lawrence: No.

Dallas: Both GPSA and UPUA represent the student body. UPAC is more administrative than representative.

Lawrence: I think we should look more into how UPAC Chair is chosen. If all else fails, and we end up with UPAC Chair as UPSFB president.

Barry: UPAC Chair cannot be executive member of SFB.

Lawrence: If UPAC Chair serves as an at-large member, gives a lot of sway to them.

Sydney: UPAC is a beneficiary, but UPUA and GPSA are elected by student body. I'm curious to learn more about why they chose to have UPAC sit as a non-voting member.

Barry: Student politics. UPUA and GPSA presidents did not like UPAC as an organization.

Lawrence: Can vice chair sit on other organizations?

Barry: They have allocation chairs.

Tony: UPAC has five allocating committees. Yidi is one committee chair.

Lawrence: If Alexa steps down, who steps in? Can they serve as an officer in another organization (e.g., UPUA)?

Yidi: In UPAC, if chair steps down, the Vice Chair will step up. The handbook does not clarify this position about serving in another organization.

Lawrence: If there was language that states Vice Chair has to serve as Chair only, then that would make sense.

Yidi: When you apply to the Vice Chair, they will step in to become the role of the Chair. But it's not explicitly in the handbook. You sign up and will be interviewed by an older member, newer member, and an advisor. The result will be decided by the advisor.

Lawrence: Then I'm leaning more against the idea, as it is decided by the advisor.

UPAC Chair will ultimately push toward their role. They're also a leader of who we fund.

I'm also having a conversation with Aashka, and I'll talk to her and see how many have voting rights on her board. We'll table this until March. There are some hearing days we may have more time.

VIII. Committee Chair Reports

A. Internal Development

Tony: ID reviewed the values and definitions you forwarded to us. We also wrote language for student turnover.

B. New Fee Request

Dallas: The criteria rubric for how we draft new fee requests are done. If people could take a look, then we could flip over the ID. We also will have a meeting. We'll talk about what needs to be a priority.

IX. Subject Matter Reports

A. Sydney

Sydney: I had 2 UHS meetings, and how they structured their proposals have 3 different plans of services that complement each other well. SFB can't choose among the 3 plans, and we talked to Dallas about this new fee request. They could list out 12 services, and show suggesting groupings. Choose up to maximum allocation requested. Also talked about complexity of this fee request, whether it's possible of extending their presentation to 30 minutes. Benchmarking against Big10 peers, they were hoping to get more time.

Dallas: A lot of information we're looking for falls in line with new fee request.

Lawrence: We can do two hearings, one probably on a Sunday, and we'll have them speak with us over Zoom, cap on 15-20 minutes. Then push on new fee request committee. Then approve or deny. Then move through mechanisms, and go to an official hearing. We can extend it or push it to a new day, based on how many new fee requests we receive this year.

Sydney: With the 15 minute presentation, that would be with the fee board and give a simple overview on whether to decide to give them a full hearing?

Lawrence: Right. This is such an impactful fee request, I think it's better to have more information.

Sydney: When do you envision that hearing?

Dallas: I can look into scheduling that. The only requirement in the operating guidelines is they would have to have their application in before the last day of the academic semester. We can push that to early January, as they've met the baseline for consideration.

Barry: They all have until January 15.

Dallas: In operating guidelines, it says 2 weeks.

Barry: And you can't include break period.

Tony: What if other offices knew we gave UHS longer amount of time?

Lawrence: I think this is something we could make an exception for. This will have a severe impact.

Tony: ESF held a one hour meeting to review four ESF proposals, and we moved forward with two hearings.

Lawrence: I was also talking with Dallas today, I know we were trying to push a max of four allocation hearings. I think that UHS would be chunk off, and we could think of language going forward.

Barry: If any office comes forward with those funds, that is always within your purview: can you come back to a deliberation?

Brian: Would we have two meetings for them?

Dallas: What is status of values we discussed two weeks ago with justice, equity, for example?

Lawrence: There's an argument that could have an impact on our funding.

Dallas: If we added for new fee request, should we be looking at those to our values?

Also, what is the request that's going to come to the board? They're requesting the full amount and that's the full request. Then plans for partial amounts.

Sydney: They will request up to the full amount. The 3 options are more informal. But they could mix and match services across the funding.

Tony: Values and definitions are an extension of what we discussed from last year. The backbone skeleton also give them more explanations. They're basically more information. Their proposal should include these values.

New fee request can still go forward with old version.

Sydney: Also giving office more leeway. This is one of the most communicative offices. Their very interested in working with us and getting student input. Rewarding that level of communication.

Brian: The fact they're communicating with you, we should give them special privilege?

Sydney: It's not just communicating with me, it's to parent roundtable.

Lawrence: One of reasons we docked BJC is because they were not so communicative.

Brian: I would be stricter with this fee as it's going to be a huge increase to the student fee.

Dallas: Who does that strict scrutiny, would it be the board or the new fee request? We have to sort that out.

Could we get briefing meetings, rather than the pitch?

B. Tony

Tony: Final week, there's only one more spot left. Are there any newer times for CCSG?

Lawrence: I'll add another time for January 13th. Any current offices should not move toward that date. Another slot on February 17th.

C. Jada

Jada: For Sonya, she wants to keep the 13th, but she couldn't delete the 2nd.

Lawrence: Tony, could you reach out to CCSG, 2nd is open.

X. Chair Report

A. Expectations for Spring

Lawrence: As we move into Spring, probably won't be having as many changes. We'll have a little time before and after the meetings. Everyone needs to be here, ready to go by 8:00 am.

Anything that needs to be changed in handbook, we should keep doing those. We'll send edits out to Teams. As it currently stands, hearing date for standing hearings should be February 10th, and we should have other finished by March 17th for ESF, equity fund, and new fee request. I expect we're going to push back steering committee meeting, so I wanted to talk about values and definitions. I will just do some mild edits, just grammar and spelling. Any discussion?

Brian: So justice is justice, not safety?

Tony: Justice and equity go hand in hand, but justice is more on safety.

Sydney: Motion to change plan to planning. Also what would be the role of these definitions?

Lawrence: These would be guiding. I think we should make these a little looser. Also adjusting first sentence. We could change to "be aware."

Tony: Organization could argue an event that turns violent has the purpose of violence. It's part of our job to make sure students enjoy without harm.

Lawrence: "Student fee funded units should avoid causing any disruption to ongoing university operations." Any motions to vote?

Motioned.

Lawrence: That is approved. I will add to our documents.

XI. Comments for Good of the Order

Jada: Are we going to do the steering committee meeting before or after the winter break?

Lawrence: Hopefully before. After shouldn't be a problem. It's up to Crystal, when she gets back. I will type up all the questions to Aashka and forward to relevant SFB members.

Yidi: UPAC Vice Chair cannot have an officer position in any other organization. UPAC will open up applications in late February. Applicant must be active UPAC member. Interview in March. Outgoing member, returning member interviews.

XII. Closing Roll Call

Meeting adjourned at 9:21 a.m.