



Student Fee Board

## MEETING MINUTES

**Date:** 1/13/23

**Topic:** Public Meeting

### Present:

- **Voting members:** Lawrence Miller, Xiaoru (Tony) Shi, Jada Quinland, Yidi Wang, Brian Johnson, Conor Kelly, Ava Philips, Sydney Gibbard, Dallas Zebrowski, Cierra Chandler
- **Nonvoting members:** Alexa Clayton, Zander Golden, Jolinda Wilson, Barry Bram

### Absent:

- **Voting members:** Noah Robertson, Najee Rodriguez

### Agenda:

#### I. Call to Order and Opening Roll Call

Meeting called to order at 8:01 a.m.

#### II. Adoption of the Agenda

Motioned, seconded.

#### III. Adoption of the Minutes (December 9th, 2022)

Motioned, seconded.

#### IV. Public Comment

#### V. Old Business

#### VI. New Business

## **A. 8:15-Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity**

Sonya: Hi everyone, I am the director of CSGD

Ryan: Program Coordinator with CSGD

Sonya: 3 pillars: education, advocacy, outreach.

Ryan: Signature programming includes a welcome reception. Several signature months, including transgender awareness, pride, LGBTQ+ month. Builds community and belonging on campus.

Ongoing signature programming - Be informed, find support, get involved. This includes discussion groups, clothing transits, policy changes (involvement in collaborative initiatives).

We also help student groups in supporting our LGBTQ+ population - 8 groups. Meet with queer leadership council to ensure they have enough resources.

Sonya: Funding, we've received from SFB for some time. We are great stewards of our money. Much of the work we support is student-run, student-driven within the center - utilize and working in space. Anything we haven't spent, we've returned to SFB.

Some of the areas we have noted of going close over - welcome reception, trans awareness month. In this ask for 23-24, not asking for increase, just audited where we have seen overspending or underspending - so shifting funding around.

Total ask is \$156,047.36. We have late night hours, late night student programming. Uptick in engagement.

Currently employing 9 undergraduate and 1 graduate. Pay is between \$12 and 15/hour. Hours are shifting. We are halfway through our funding with wages, perfect for Spring.

We have 3 pods, working on networking. Marketing Pod - changing the way our students are absorbing material, getting word out. Student support pod. Educational learning pod.

The proposed budget and timeline. More funding allocated toward fall - black history, women's history months. One of most popular events is Out & Engaged. Visited human rights campaign. What is around us, with regards to history of our communities.

Snapshot of our engagement numbers is part of our appendices. Seen an increased uptick of the use of our space. Expansion of space from Boucke into the HUB, much needed and utilized. Full programming also included in appendix. Increase in trans, nonbinary population on our campus. Education for training, really needing someone that would support that. Helping change culture.

Designated by Campus Pride as a premier campus. Speaks to the opportunity for us to improve our services and the culture - supporting all students.

Lawrence: For position, you're not asking for that next year for the Spring?

Sonya: Correct.

Cierra: Curious if you have other departments cosponsoring, in terms of funding also for new position? What departments are you also working with?

Sonya: Support of a full-time position through the university. When looking at DEI, we have to view our work intersectionally - also students with different identities. Working with Career Services. Gender Equity Center. PRCC. Spiritual Center. Also trying to stretch those collaborative places. Done some work with athletics.

Alexa: What are your plans for student graduate programming? How do you advertise events for graduate students?

Sonya: We are an office of 2. Do not have an admin. Continue to do brunches. Federal Taphouse, Shaver's Creek in Stone Valley - allowing graduate students to connect. As for marketing, social media - we put out a newsletter. Use stall stories, trying to saturate. Also working with GPSA and UPUA to get out word of mouth.

Jada: Are you looking to hire more graduate students?

Sonya: Attempt to hire second graduate student. The pull was very thin. Not only advocacy unit looking for graduate students, and they're in the same situation.

Conor: What's been the biggest struggle for you all? What would help in mitigating that?

Sonya: Students are burnt out. Hard to find ways to engage students. Mental health of students. Ryan started shifting programming away from midterms/test weeks.

Ryan: We are still programming during those weeks of high stress, but formulating different programming to be less intensive like art therapy.

## **B. 8:45-Council of Commonwealth Student Governments**

Kara: CCSG is the government council for the 19 commonwealth campuses. Allocation funds integral leadership parts of CCSG - central staff, travel, retreat, awards.

Office & Apparel Supplies. Our councils unite 38 representatives. Polos help to identify our staff in the mass.

Central staff bonding - bonding and leadership sessions, such as Central Staff Retreat!

Travel, Banquet, Awards - future goal is to make banquet fun and open to all students.

Show-cause budget - a lot of projected expenses are in fall. None in summer as that is the transition period. For Spring, that comes from awards. Total projected expenses are \$5,000.

CCSG is a unique organization. UP allocation supports our staff, which in turn, helps to promote advocacy and initiatives for about 30,000 students.

Yidi: How many students are from UP and how many from commonwealth in CCSG?

Kara: We mainly have all UP students and 1 Commonwealth student - they are our speaker.

Yidi: How often do you meet? Do you meet by Zoom?

Kara: We have hybrid meetings in the HUB. We use one of the spaces on the second floor.

Yidi: Who is retreat available to?

Kara: Anyone who joins and applies to us.

Do get funding from commonwealth campuses as well.

Tony: How often do you meet with Commonwealth to keep updated with them?

Kara: Always keep updated on Teams. Do have council meetings with 19 government associations - five council weekends. Our speaker will meet with those associations on a monthly basis.

Tony: Engagement with graduate students?

Kara: I'm a graduate student, and a lot of our students enjoy their experience so much with CCSG that they continue in graduate school. We advertise to everyone, but our staff is comprised of many different cultures. Base ourselves on all-inclusive.

Lawrence: How much money have you spent to date?

Kara: Around \$4,500. Right on plan.

Lawrence: Is there any reason you would need an increase over the next four years that you can foresee?

Kara: \$5,000 works very well for us.

Brian: Allocation divided by banquet, supplies, etc. Do you foresee any additional?

Kara: Don't plan on spending funds anywhere us.

Barry: CCSG receives \$28,000 from Commonwealth. \$5,000 mainly supports this group of students in UP.

Lawrence: Are they up for review for the Commonwealth Fee Board?

Barry: Yes.

### **C. 9:15-BJC**

Phil: Hi, I'm the assistant GM with the BJC.

In the past, BJC had a string of student-based shows, students didn't purchase tickets. Uphill battle of work. Student ticket subsidy, as a result for the past 9 years.

2022-2023 review - Tom Segura, subsidy total \$1,047. Mulaney, subsidy was \$36,348. The Killers, subsidy was \$9,975. Blue Bandorama, \$1,260. Kevin Hart, subsidy was \$21,849. Nate Bargatze, subsidy was \$17,316. WWE Live, subsidy was \$2,500. etc.

Other acts include Journey and Toto, Carrie Underwood, Kenny Chesney, Hot Wheels, Casting Crowns, Thomas Rhett.

2023-2024 request. Usually BJC asks for a flat fee. Now seeing bigger shows. This year, asking for 225,000. Last year, a request for larger discounts to students, increasing number of shows. Increase price of tickets - BJC has no impact on ticket prices. If funding doesn't increase, less student tickets available.

Student ticket price needs to be approved by promoter, agent, and act.

We'll continue to give UPSFB recognition. PSU UP students get a presale for all events.

Lawrence: Have you seen more people hitting student discounted tickets?

Phil: Yes, accessibility is much easier, also all in one place on Ticketmaster. So seeing better customer experience.

Lawrence: On the new site, only for students registered at the campus?

Phil: Yes, we receive ID numbers.

Lawrence: Student panel update?

Phil: Waiting for updated list. Reach out to number of groups, handful came back. Also very short-staffed at BJC. Did hire event manager, whose responsibilities will include this panel.

Brian: Any need for future funding to go toward staff?

Phil: This would purely be for the ticket subsidies. We've been aggressive in our hiring rights. Sitting at 33% student employees.

Brian: Uptick in number of student employees, increase in incentives, increase in awareness.

Phil: Correct.

Cierra: Can you discuss the sustainability initiatives?

Phil: Zero waste events are our caterers - like banquets. Using compostable plates, food waste going to compost. Any bottles or cans are recyclable. For Billie Eilish, got rid of all plastic in building for that event. For example, water cans, but price was kept same as for water bottles. Also separate trash and recycling left in stands.

## **VII. Topics of Discussion**

### **A. Fee Requests**

#### **1. New Fee Request**

#### **2. Equity Fund**

#### **3. Environmental Sustainability Fund**

Lawrence: 3 sets of new fee requests. 2 new applications for new fee request. 6 for the equity fund. 3 for the ESF. Goal is that we add max of 10 to get through them by the middle of March. For ESF, anyone on committee willing to step up to chair?



Cierra: I can help.

Lawrence: I will send Cierra and Tony more information. Try to figure out which applications will move forward by the end of next Friday.

## **B. Class Schedules**

Lawrence: If you could share your class schedules in case we need to do extra meetings. We'll do when2meet. It'll include weekends from 9 am to 9 pm.

## **VIII. Committee Chair Reports**

### **A. Facilities**

Cierra: We met with Mary, 2 feasibility studies. They're looking to hire companies to do those feasibility studies.

## **IX. UPAC Chair Report**

Alexa: Annual policy review later. Allocated \$700,000 for our standing allocations (Movin' On). \$20,000 for travel. \$1.1M for operational, etc. Total of \$2.4M.

## **X. Chair Report**

### **A. Student Leader Roundtable Meeting with BOT Chair/Vice Chair**

### **B. Meeting With Janiyah Davis- Student Trustee**

Lawrence: Next Wednesday is the student leader roundtable meeting. I submitted questions. Next, Feb 10, I will be out of town. I will be on Zoom, but I will need someone to take over for me. Lastly, Janiyah Davis wants to meet with us. I'll be sending out a when2meet by the end of today to see when is going to be a good time.

Barry recommended adding language to the handbook - "policy shall not be construed to restrict academic freedom at the University, nor shall it be construed to restrict constitutionally protected expression."

Barry: This comes straight from 80-91.

Alexa: I think that sounds fine.

Lawrence: Any motions to adopt this into the handbook as written?

Motioned, seconded. No objections. All in favor.

Alexa: Can you send that language to me so that I can make a policy recommendation?

## **XI. Comments for Good of the Order**

Lawrence: Do we want appointees to be allowed to vote?

Tony: In UPUA, only at-large members voting. Others step out.

Lawrence: Next week, we're talking with UPUA, Brian Pachowski from PRCC, and Student Orientation & Transition. Next week is when we need to decide on applications.

Offices are also being asked to plan in advance for 2 years. Any motions for this board to also move to a 2 year cycle. I don't like it, and I don't think we should do so.

Cierra: Offices are locked into 2 years.

Lawrence: On off years, it would just be improving operating guidelines, much lighter.

Conor: I think it cuts off student voice. Also considering ESF, Equity Fund. For majority of offices, it's more accessible and would make more sense for new opportunities. Student-based offices would be disadvantaged - e.g., pilot program.

Lawrence: Similar to UHS.

Tony: Going from 1 year to 2 year. Accounting for more uncertainty. Making a recommendation for 2 years, restricting flexibility for offices. Most offices have same programming events, others are drastically different.

Brian: Seeing uptick in request for funding like the BJC is reinstatement of prices and tickets after COVID-19.

Tony: Once we extend from 1 year to 2 years, we're not only recommending but also keeping offices accountable.

Sydney: How would this work, as student government can only ask for an increase every 3 years? With Conor earlier and student organizations, we do programming on an annual basis. Half is very responsive to climate of student organizations.

Lawrence: Shifting to 2 year cycle, but also figuring that out.

Cierra: Is this a permanent change?

Barry: This is more of an incremental, going to 5 years.

## **XII. Closing Roll Call**

Meeting adjourned at 9:49 a.m.