



Student Fee Board

MEETING MINUTES

Date: 3/17/23

Topic: Public Meeting

Present:

- **Voting members:** Lawrence Miller, Xiaoru (Tony) Shi, Jada Quinland, Yidi Wang, Brian Johnson, Conor Kelly, Ava Philips, Najee Rodriguez, Sydney Gibbard, Dallas Zebrowski, Cierra Chandler, Zander Golden
- **Nonvoting members:** Alexa Clayton, Jolinda Wilson, Barry Bram

Absent:

Agenda:

I. Call to Order and Opening Roll Call

Meeting called to order at 8:02 a.m.

II. Adoption of the Agenda

Motioned, seconded.

III. Adoption of the Minutes (March 3rd, 2023)

Motioned, seconded.

IV. Public Comment

A. Basic Needs Support Center - Office of Student Care and Advocacy

Leanne: Student Care and Advocacy

Giselle: Students United Against Poverty

Zion: Students United Against Poverty

Giselle: To give background, the food and housing taskforce started in February 2020. The pandemic underscored that. And they made a variety of recommendations, and we'll be focusing on case management, the University-wide steering committee, and student emergency fund centralized process.

In terms of food and housing data, demonstrated a level of need, with 24% reporting some food insecurity - indicated more than 21,000 responses fall 2021.

Leanne: Our proposed budget includes an associate director, assistant director, a case manager, and 3 student employees. Also some cost sharing with the commonwealth student fee board. Do not have the official response to that, but we did request \$85,000 from that board. Also were able to apply to the Hunger Free Campus Grant (\$60,000). We also did get Start Up Funds from last year.

As far as a timeline, initial programs are already established, so not included. During the 23-24 academic year, Basic Needs Hub, peer to peer support, response to food and housing survey.

Basic Needs Case Management: we met with 415 basic needs cases in Fall 2022. They can walk in, make a phone call, or book an appointment - virtually or in person. Case managers are non-judgmental, already had experience working with community - medical background. So very knowledgeable case managers. If a student is struggling with food, we will talk about student life, mental health, physical health - so holistic approach. We also connect with off-campus and on-campus services - food bank, services. So we know the best resources for students. We also coach on self-advocacy so they can take care of themselves.

Our core function is providing that case management. We have also established a basic needs insecurity collaborative council, a student emergency fund, swipe out hunger (with meal plan credit), SNAP education, collaboration with community organizations, Students United Against Poverty.

Zion: Thriving here was part of resources afforded by the University. Luckily, I had resources, my RA put me in touch. So I was able to focus more on my classes. We want all Penn State students reach self-fulfillment needs.

Giselle: Students United Against Poverty. We are the affiliate student group. We have grounding and sustainability going forward to helping students. General poverty education and awareness can drive away stigma.

Zion: Basic Needs Hub is in 202 Boucke - hygiene products, food, household items. They can receive in a non-judgmental space. Then we have peer internships - self-advocates. Trained and able to assist other students.

Giselle: So why is funding the basic needs support center so important? Before student needs can be met, they cannot engage with student communities before addressing their basic needs. But this is really shown in the classroom - academic success/retention.

Brian: What does student advocacy look like beyond hirings?

Leanne: Basic Needs Hub is funded by grant we received. We'll be working on process for how that will function. Students United Against Poverty is working on that. We just did recruitment for this year. We'll be doing some interviews. We'll then have a leader for the Basic Needs Hub and a committee.

Tony: For the federal work-study, is 50 hr/week during the semester for one student?

Leanne: That's not just one person, that may be 4 students.

Tony: How many interns or student employees do you plan to hire?

Leanne: For interns, we plan on having one person each semester. Work study roles will be more administrative.

Tony: You mentioned you do have cost-sharing from other organizations. Can you disclose how much cost they will be sharing?

Leanne: What we requested from the Commonwealth Student Fee Board has not been approved yet, but we requested \$85,000 for the case manager. For commonwealth, providing back up and support. Provide database for resources. Not providing one on one case management.

Lawrence: Is this request just for salaried positions?

Leanne: Yes.

Lawrence: Have you contacted any other student organization providing similar services like UHS and OPP?

Leanne: We have committee to refer us to other student organizations doing the same thing. But part of the job is also seeing where needs gap is. Our office and what we do is first step. We have many students coming to us that are unaware of the Lion's Pantry, for example. It doesn't register until we have conversations. We do our best to connect, and that's one of the key functions of that committee.

Sydney: What's the difference between Students United Against Poverty vs. student interns?

Leanne: Paid staff and student interns doing more case management and one-on-one's. SUAP is raising awareness and running Basic Needs Hub. Also coming up with other initiatives. Student group is a program where we're also education students who are members. We'll also have speakers coming in, providing our members a more hands-on experience.

Lawrence: What would be the measure of success for the pilot program?

Leanne: We did do a quick survey at the beginning of the semester. We did get a little bit of feedback - 27 people responded. Just met with a survey expert, and we'll set up another survey - asking students if their work with us made them feel sense of belonging, ability to remain involved, increased awareness of resources. I will send that to you.

Lawrence: How are you ensuring graduate students feel comfortable using this service?

Leanne: We met with multiple graduate students. Student Affairs also pushed our survey, which raised awareness that food and housing is an ongoing problem here to all. We have someone on our collaborative council representing graduate students.

V. UPAC Chair Report

Alexa: UPAC has allocated \$3.3M. We have recently received 2 budgets that have controversial speakers. I will continue to update you all about that.

Lawrence: The student leader roundtable is getting debriefed on that. Stephanie Delaney will be briefed on that. It's likely it will have some form of controversy over that.

VI. Chair Report

A. Preparation for Deliberation

Lawrence: I will want your PowerPoint done by Wednesday. Your job is to figure out if what their need matches funding requested, and if their need matches student needs. You can recommend partial, full, or flat funding. For example: "Based off of conversations, recommending x, y, z because of this...." This slide is what you will use as your template. What was your office allocated this year. Along with the dollar recommendation, I also want a per-student breakdown. I'll give you the per student number.

Najee: Next year, that number will be locked in for each one, and we're just exclusively analyzing impact for that year?

Lawrence: Let's just do this year, but let's talk to Jolinda as an increase or decrease from the Student Fee Board for the year after. But for this deliberation, we'll focus on this year.

This is an example from last year. We have the name, allocation, and request. A recommendation and justification. There's another slide if you want to dive into allocation expenses. Once you're done, put your slides after slide 9 ("put your slides here"). Next meeting, we'll start to do deliberations.

Sydney: Do we make deliberations on offices individually?

Lawrence: Individually. As we move through deliberations, we are allowed to disagree with the subject matter expert. We'll go one-by-one.

Brian: If one of us recommends partial funding, will we have to specify percentage base?

Lawrence: Give us a number.

Tony: If there's not full funding, list out funding item that is not full funding so we know how much each office is deviating from their request. As for Sydney's question, what we did for the past 2 years - each subject matter expert did a presentation one by one. We may need several discussions based on need.

Sydney: Would it be appropriate - since the fee is so much, we should prioritize x over y?" Or look individually until the fee is made?

Najee: From an accountability perspective, the argument was more so offices not adhering to SFB recommendations - that was main component for student fee decrease. Also if the office contributes to holistic student experience.

Lawrence: We'll put UHS to the end before the fee request.

Tony: In past years, deliberations did discuss SFB prioritizations. And this year, we need to take special deliberation because of increases to each office.

Sydney: I think it's going to be rare to have an office this year that went against our justification letter. I think it's going to be comparing which offices contribute more.

Barry: You can go through each office individually, decide what you want to do, see what the overall increase looks like. Then that will come through your discussions to get a sense of what the actual increase will be.

Lawrence: That will be due next Wednesday. If you have any questions, please send that over to your offices.

VII. Comments for Good of the Order

Barry: Applications for next year's at-large seats are now available. They are due two weeks from yesterday.

VIII. Closing Roll Call

Meeting adjourned at 8:49 a.m.