



Student Fee Board

MEETING MINUTES

Date: 3/24/23

Topic: Public Meeting

Present:

- **Voting members:** Lawrence Miller, Xiaoru (Tony) Shi, Brian Johnson, Sydney Gibbard, Jada Quinland, Yidi Wang, Conor Kelly, Ava Philips, Najee Rodriguez, Dallas Zebrowski, Cierra Chandler, Zander Golden
- **Nonvoting members:** Jolinda Wilson, Barry Bram

Absent:

- **Nonvoting members:** Alexa Clayton

Agenda:

I. Call to Order and Opening Roll Call

Meeting called to order at 8:02 a.m.

II. Adoption of the Agenda

Motioned, seconded.

III. Adoption of the Minutes (March 17th, 2023)

Motioned, seconded.

IV. Public Comment

V. Old Business

VI. New Business

A. Deliberations

Lawrence: As a reminder, this is how we're going to be spending the majority of our time, except for the last 10 minutes. We have 20 standing offices, and we'll take care of the new fee requests, starting next week. Subject matter experts will present first, if there's any new information, if there were any questions, and what your recommendation is.

Student Disability Resources

Yidi: This year, they didn't have a request. They were unable to hire the staff. Therefore, there are no student fees for the current fiscal year. Student Disability Services will submit again next year.

Lawrence: This will be one of the offices we will need to look again for the year after.

Student Legal Services

Dallas: They're requesting a small bump in their funding due to inflation, hiring, and moving locations. Regarding hiring, they had positions open for a long time that they couldn't fill due to the salary. In regards to their location, their lease expires soon. They contacted Student Affairs to get them back on campus. The additional bump is to get a new space within walking distance from campus. I'm recommending full funding of \$545,000.

Najee: I heard the director is leaving, does the director salary remain the same?

Dallas: I can ask.

Barry: There's been an interim director. There will be salary savings.

Lawrence: Do you know how well they've used the money?

Dallas: You can see their fringe expense. They do have a little leftover. Their getting pretty close to their original allocation.

Sydney: They requested UPUA fund \$3,000 more name vouchers, so they're going through the name vouchers.

Office of Graduate Educational Equity Programs

Najee: The office is having some of the same issues as the last funding cycle, except they will be able to get positions posted. It will be the same 2 positions that the last fee board approved. But the pay grades had to be modified (1 or 2 levels up). They didn't use money from last year due to hiring freeze. I recommend full funding.

Lawrence: Barry, can we give them a carry forward?

Barry: If you do that this year, then any allocation this year will go to a facility reserve.

Lawrence: One thing I'll recommend for SFB next year is reducing the facility reserve and moving into our own fund that we can use. There was discourse last year on whether this is a class experience, this is something we may need to reevaluate.

Sydney: I was wondering - Student Disability Services didn't request any money for this year. Will they receive their carry forward similarly? For next year, that would be a huge increase for those offices that weren't able to hire.

Yidi: In our email, we specified that they will not be deemed a new fee request.

Najee: Does the money automatically in the system get back to us if the office doesn't use their funds?

Lawrence: I don't think they take it from us until it's spent.

Barry: It does leave our funds, but only until October. They've already received their money for this fiscal year.

Jolinda: We sent an email towards the end of last year. How much they are returning to their carry forward and how much they are returning back.

Lawrence: As it currently stands, we're looking to approve this request. Versus Student Disability Resources won't be looking to hire until 2024-2025.

Sydney: I wanted to discuss how OGEEP supports graduate students. They support undergrads on the in-class vs. they support grads on the out-of-class experience. I don't believe every office should be held to 50/50 expectation of grad vs. undergrad. I know for SOTP, it targets undergrads. But for OGEEP, do we want to hold them to a more equal ratio?

Tony: Even for last year, OGEEP had a lot of programs that required its students to have US citizenship, but not all students who pay the student fee are US citizens. Last year, it seemed like the director said that's just the way it is.

Najee: I think it would be worth asking how OGEEP can better serve one class more than the other. How we can take more active strides to support out of class experiences for undergrads.

Lawrence: One thing we recommended to the BJC last year was a student advisory panel. We can also invite Dr. Preston if we have more questions about OGEEP, and how they've been searching for hiring these students. OGEEP is more grad-focused.

Sydney: The grad-undergrad ratio and how OGEEP should support them but also the definition of what an in-class experience is. They talked about how they do panels with grad students so that undergrads can see better what it is to be in graduate school.

Cierra: Another program is the CARE program, which acts as the pipeline from undergrad to grad school. Also wanted to discuss the exclusivity of international students.

Lawrence: One of the important things for this request is we're not funding their programming. We can also just push this to next week's meeting.

Yidi: Just to answer the question, I remember for the program that requires citizenship is from their program website. They have lots of programs. Also they received state funding and from that they were unable to open up positions for international students.

Tony: I'm wondering from last year when we first started funding OGEEP - what is the improvement in outreach. To make sure if we have equal outreach.

Lawrence: It seems that that's the job of the student advocacy manager.

Najee: They didn't go into detail of the international student experience, but mostly explained they would be more active on the ground - tabling. That's the extent that I know.

Lawrence: I'll ask Dr. Preston to come in based on this discussion.

Jada: Something I'm considering is Dr. Preston is running two offices and her team. That also held back a lot of the recommendations the last fee board gave her. And they also lost a few people in their offices.

Paul Robeson Cultural Center

Najee: I recommended full flat funding for the general programming request because, last year, they did a lot of modification (e.g., food component). I also recommended an increase requested for staffing and program enhancement of \$403,500. It aligns with all the criteria.

Lawrence: I know in their increase, they requested full flat funding, and then they want this addendum. They said the total addendum past max is the higher level.

Najee: I think they overestimated funding. I think it would make sense to move forward with them. They support all students and educate the student community as a whole. Humanistic support to those communities would be exponential to how they feel.

Lawrence: I'm going to add Brian and ask him to come next week, and see what are the other possibilities of what we'll be able to approve or not.

Dallas: How many positions were they looking to fund?

Najee: Around five. And they included grad and undergrad students.

Barry: I think he was thinking of this as more of a longer term process and not asking for the funding right away.

Najee: I was going to say that this level of the addendum incorporate other factors. In previous year, student employees were hired. It would be easier to restrict the approval of grad or undergrad students.

Tony: How much of an increase would this be for a student?

Lawrence: About \$8-10.

Sydney: This is something I've heard about since freshman year. They did say their goal is to shift these positions to being funded by the SFB to central funding as soon as they can. I also think this is something that has been in the works.

Brian: Do we have to go full or flat funding?

Lawrence: We should know where those ranges are.

Tony: This project started awhile ago. We could do a four stage model we did for another office. We can transition 25% by 25% back to central funding from the University.

Lawrence: I know Bendapaudi announced \$5M was going to be allocated to racial justice initiatives, including PRCC.

Cierra: How would we make PRCC commit to this model? I don't know how long that commitment would go.

Lawrence: We won't know much about general funding and flexibility until that June Board of Trustees.

Sydney: Maybe having Brian in here and seeing if this is number one funding priority and is it realistic to eventually have general funding support this.

Lawrence: Najee, could you send questions regarding this?

Student Farm

Tony: Increase would be to adjust salary based on inflation. Student Farm has been a good steward of funding and they have increased outreach to different groups, like the Lion's Pantry and pop-up stands. Not to worry about the stigma that comes with food security issue. SF also

increased cost-sharing perspective. Received major gift of around \$200,000. And expanding operations. This increase is just to cover inflation.

Lawrence: They seem to be good with using all money they were allocated.

If we increase funding. We may need to take a dive into our financial situation. With this, this would be a 30 cent increase.

Ava: This is the HUB reserve flat funding. Everyone uses the HUB, out of class experience.

Lawrence: This year, they are paying off mortgage, so we'll have a bit of leeway.

CAPS

Yidi: This year, they're requesting increased funding for UP-funded stuff. In the past, CAPS did a great job of treatment capacities, including telecommunications and expanding their spaces. They're also working with different offices. Right now, they're serving around 10%, but they estimated the need is between 20-40%.

Lawrence: They use all their money. With a \$20,000 increase that's about a 50 cent increase.

Najee: With the increases that CAPS has, I hope that CAPS can improve the outreach/communication of wait times.

CSGD

Jada: They're requesting the same funding. They're still testing out how they can better allocate for each programming to be more equitable. More toward graduate programming.

Lawrence: I would ask that you talk to them and see how much money they have spent to date.

CCSG

Tony: Asking for the same funding. One thing I'll propose is greater outreach, given retreats and team-building events are not fully accessible to all students.

Lawrence: We can say we want to see efforts to do this to fit more with their goals. More access to student government. It's in our handbook that we fund \$5,000 to them.

UPUA

Cierra: I'm recommending full, flat funding. Because they're gearing toward advocacy work, they're still partnering with other student organizations.

Lawrence: Do you have an idea of how many student groups you did co-programming with?

Sydney: Many times, we bring organizations to our events, and other events that originate by other organizations. We've probably collaborated with around 15-20.

Now that we have a fund for scholarship, unrestricted funds will funnel to support that. We've never used that to support programming.

SOTP

Lawrence: I'm recommending a decrease of \$4,000. They've historically had \$7,000 left over. The lowest they had leftover was \$6,000. The highest was \$8,000. Given their office is important to the university, they may have better leverage to ask for central funding.

GPSA

Ava: I said full, flat funding for GPSA. My only question/concern is does \$8,000 go to the class gift?

Jada: This is the first time. We're partnering with the world campus student government. Assembly decides on that.

Barry: What class gift is this going towards?

Jada: This is from our savings. We're partnering with the world campus graduate student government.

Lawrence: My question is do you have a rough number of student organizations you sponsor?

Jada: I can get back to you. But this year, we've had the most sponsorships to date.

Lion's Pantry

Lawrence: Requesting increase of around \$46,000. Should be about \$1 per student. They had a successful year. Increase in expenses derived mainly from increased food costs.

Sustainability Institute

Lawrence: Alexa's recommending a decrease of \$32,460. SI looked at spending and adjusted their requested funding. We can also forcibly increase budgets.

Center for Performing Arts

Cierra: CPA requested to increase their funding to \$235,000. This is to cover their ticket subsidy and to fund internships. I believe in the last year they asked for \$16,000 to be carried over, but that was due to the pandemic and a decrease in utilization. They changed their opportunity fund to fund those internships. I believe they'll utilize full funding.

Lawrence: I understand what you said about low output due to the pandemic. Maybe we decrease this, given they gave back \$103,000 last year 2021-2022 cycle. Can you ask them where they currently are with the ticket subsidies?

Childcare Subsidy

Jada: They're requesting flat funding. The SFB funding is paired with CCAMPIS grant funds.

Barry: And recommending full, flat funding is still a decrease for them, given cost-sharing agreement with Office of Provost.

Lawrence: So we'd be funding half of this: \$103,000.

Yidi: I know we are going to decrease every year, and this will be the first year?

Lawrence: This will be the second year.

Student Leadership and Involvement

Conor: It's up in the year since we're waiting on Jeff to see how many they will hire. They're requesting \$2.233M. I'm recommending \$2.21M. Partial funding for \$1.244M for SPA. I think they can move around money, but at the same time, some of their other programming is underutilized.

Lawrence: I'd like you to ask Jeff to see how much they've spent to date. They wanted to fund 6 positions. They said this is in line with other SPA's on other campuses. We could recommend them to move money around since some programs are underutilized.

Najee: I have 3 things that I wanted to say. I've heard that SPA can misuse student fees as in contracts and using student fees exorbitantly (like Quinn XCII concert). SPA and Movin' On needs to specialize in their own areas. Also should better understand pilot programs. In general, I do support an inclusion of student workers, but they need to address with other student leaders and leaders in SLI. I don't think all positions should be paid. They could have a gradual introduction.

Conor: There's an increase of \$246,000 in concert fees. I don't think student fees are justified. I don't know contracts for example. I support reevaluating concert/lecture side.

Lawrence: They don't spend all money and don't seem efficient. I'm going to ask you Conor to look at this again and reevaluate. I'm always concerned by student workers chosen by a select group of student workers. That can turn into favoritism. A lot of concerns we have expressed toward Jeff wasn't necessarily addressed. Maybe talk to BJC, they have full staff to make sure money is spent as efficiently as possible.

Najee: I think they need to think about what they're good at and sticking with that.

Tony: From my past 3 year experience, SLI used to be called Office of Student Activities. They've used the same slides, and 30 minutes during hearings is not enough for all components. Maybe ask for 2 office request - office piece and student leadership.

Sydney: I definitely agree with what Najee was saying. I think if you ask the average student, they enjoy the events. I think there are more efficient ways to spend money. Maybe recommendation is more like you should have a per-student cost less than x cents. There is still value of bringing in fun events and concerns, while not serving basic needs. But still setting culture.

Lawrence: For next week, I'll ask Jeff to come in again with the director and advisor of SPA.

Jada: There are other funding sources to pay student leaders.

Najee: I know the staff of SLI works hard, but if we don't go route of paying student leaders, then this office needs to invest in attentiveness of student leaders themselves. Maximize what we're funding to engage with facilitating CAPS chats.

Conor: Looking at their appendix, they get about \$120,000 from other funding on top of what we give them - Student Affairs, Leadership Endowment account, and student program fees.

Gender Equity Center

Lawrence: Alexa is recommending full, flat funding. They're shifting funding from fall to spring because they overspent by \$9,912 this spring. They seem to be using their money responsibly.

VII. Topics of Discussion

VIII. Committee Chair Reports

A. Communications

B. Environment Sustainability Fund

C. Equity Fund

D. Facilities

E. Internal Development

F. New Fee Request

G. UPAC Appeals

IX. UPAC Chair Report

X. Chair Report

Lawrence: We have four offices left. Next week, we'll talk about the BJC, OGEEP, PRCC, Campus Rec, CPA, SLI and SPA.

Jada: Do you want me to ask Amanda (Childcare Subsidy) how much they've spent to date?

Lawrence: Yes.

We'll be talking to Dr. Preston, CPA, GPSA, Childcare Subsidy, Jeff. For the new fee requests we have, we have 12-16 from the environmental sustainability fund, the equity fund, and new fee

requests in general. We'll be splitting into 3 teams. I suggest meeting at some point, talk about the offices, and come to me with any questions.

XI. Comments for Good of the Order

XII. Closing Roll Call

Meeting adjourned at 9:58 a.m.