



Student Fee Board

MEETING MINUTES

Date: 4/2/23

Topic: Extra Meeting / Deliberations

Present:

- **Voting members:** Lawrence Miller, Xiaoru (Tony) Shi, Jada Quinland, Yidi Wang, Brian Johnson, Conor Kelly, Ava Philips, Najee Rodriguez, Sydney Gibbard, Dallas Zebrowski, Cierra Chandler, Zander Golden
- **Nonvoting members:** Alexa Clayton, Jolinda Wilson, Barry Bram

Absent:

- **Voting members:**
- **Nonvoting members:**

Agenda:

I. Call to Order and Opening Roll Call

Meeting called to order at 3:00 p.m.

II. Adoption of the Agenda

Motioned, seconded.

III. Adoption of the Minutes (March 31st, 2023)

Motioned, seconded.

IV. Public Comment

V. New Business

A. Deliberations

Lawrence: In Google Drive, created cost sheet, listing fees, past and current request, annual change, change percent, semester change, etc. We are waiting on BJC and UPAC. We are done paying off the HUB, but not the health center. We've been doing a facilities fee reserve.

Barry: This is because we anticipated potential new wellness building and some of other projects last year's fee board considered and other feasibility studies.

Lawrence: I may recommend cutting down the facilities fee reserve.

Barry: We should have conversations with Jolinda. In 3 or 4 years when a project is moving forward, raising a fee \$100 to compensate that cut - don't want that to happen.

Lawrence: We'll also talk about Student Leadership & Involvement to figure out final recommendation.

Lion's Pantry - is that a new fee request or is that an equity fund request?

Najee: Lion's Pantry was a new fee request separately. Amount that went to equity fund was for renovations. But what they have now is standing.

CSGD

Jada: Question was how much they've spent up to date. Gave their projected and current budget, brought them to \$150,925.07. 90% of way to spending entire budget.

Childcare Subsidy

Jada: Spending as of March 29th is \$112K. This is last year we're paying by ourselves. The amount she sent me that we're supposed to approve is \$206,230. In recent email, they're asking for \$206,362. I will double-check if that was a typo.

Student Leadership & Involvement

Conor: I understand increased costs on concert side. Also concerns with elected positions. But I haven't received information on Fresh Start, etc.

Lawrence: I understand Tyler's arguments, I disagree that we should be the funding body for student positions. Don't know if it's feasible for us this year. Would also need to consider funding other student positions. Already a fund in place - any student leader can request and receive a scholarship for. Ended up giving 93 separate scholarships in student leadership positions.

Najee: I don't agree with the way they went about this and not consulting any other organization - gradually phasing wages rather than 18 positions all at once.

Conor: They're banking on email sent to us Lawrence about new staff that would be able to use this money effectively. But this is a concern I have still.

Lawrence: Jeff said he's bringing in 3 positions. They had an appendix of 13 sheets. Conor and I went through every section. Campus programming - gross utilization of funding, which seemed to be due to hiring new people for following year. But don't know about that as money not being used for years. Going to \$47,000. Similar reasoning for films - Zoom nights cheaper for renting. Difference of \$98,000.

For service leadership, hadn't heard much about success or utilization. Leadership programs are one of new duties of new hires. Reduced to quarter of what that was - almost like a pilot program. Fresh Start - they said they had used it. Alternative break programming, we had some concerns with. No funding suggested for the Leadership Institute. Student org support - student

organization leaders was confusing. Wristbands and ticketing service - \$0 recommended. That could come from a UPAC request than student org support budget.

Alexa: Whenever UPAC funds an event, they're offered one free poster from marketing department. Don't know if that's fair. Also I don't know how I feel about ticketing. All requests through UPAC - if they choose to use ticketing to cover 10% UPAC doesn't fund is necessary part of program.

We do fund marketing, but it is a resource to students. Almost like it's a double bucket in the same office. Only one free poster is offered through the HUB marketing office. Through UPAC, you can request as many as you like. I don't think we should get rid of service students already use. Don't think there's double-dipping.

Lawrence: Think it's more appropriate to come from UPAC. Student organization operations - no explanation. For HUB-Robeson expenses, no explanation either. Recommending \$258,180 less.

Approving for \$1.8M, they requested \$2.2M.

Cierra: General concern - during deliberation, they were discussing how much would be required. SPA is core programming part of student experience at Penn State. I'm concerned that if we don't grant more money, how this will affect them getting artists and that students would be happy with. Don't want that to significantly impact student experience.

Conor: \$250K is important for middlemen and inflation. But in my meeting with Tyler, was not clear about where other money was going - novelty events, lecture. Would've liked to see if they could've balanced the money different to cover cost of concerts.

Tony: About inflation side, this high inflation won't be long-term. We're recommending for future allocations. To me, this anticipation for inflation is not going to be long term.

Conor: For each artist, they have their own wants for production side. Soundboard costs can build up. Wages as well. Those are things that won't go down.

Lawrence: Inclined to agree with Tony.

Conor: I would want to see lectures and concerts more - get more information. Will reach out to Tyler.

Lawrence: Also dissection of student leadership and involvement, require SPA to request individually.

Bryce Jordan Center

Zander: Phil wanted to hear more organizations suggested. Under impression we already gave him updated list of organizations. He said they were moving forward with another call for volunteers after Easter break.

Sydney: From a UPUA perspective, he reached to me, and I provided him with a name of someone. He never responded what that person would do. That was in October. Not reached out to entire group again, another call for names to be submitted.

Lawrence: Move forward with what we know. Use similar justification letter from last year. Need to see meetings.

Zander: Thought we should give BJC \$200,000.

UPAC

Zander: Recommendation is 6.24% increase. Justification is seeing increase in funding request. Last year, they funded 218 requests and they have reached a total of 236.

Alexa: Allocated \$3.6M so far.

Lawrence: All law organizations directed to UPAC. Rather UPAC have the money.

Alexa: A lot of our requests - biggest categories are program and travel expenses. National mileage is 50 cents, UPAC only funds 25. Talking with advisor, if we chose to change policy, that would make expenses jump up easily by \$100,000.

Lawrence: I think recommendation should be \$4.6M. Currently, full funding as requested.

B. New Fee Requests

Basic Needs Support Center

Najee: For Basic Needs Support Center, I don't think you can remove fringe from salary grade.

Barry: Any employee has to have fringes.

Lawrence: If the people are hired, are we required to fund them?

Najee: Damon made the decision, so it's up to us to continue or discontinue.

Barry: It was rejected last year. Last year, they invited to move forward with this decision. It was expected to come through this year. Any contribution he would make is pilot funding.

Lawrence: We need to address this with Andrea within next week.

Organic Materials Processing and Education Center Expansion (OMPEC)

Conor: After reading proposal, recommendation was splitting over two years in accordance with how long it would take. This is one-time fee.

Lawrence: Could we transfer funding from facilities?

Barry: Might be something you could take from. Also could be taken from leftover money.

Cierra: Is this approximately same as HUB renovations?

Barry: Pretty close. This year, is less than normal because it's the last year. A fair amount of money leftover from HUB designation.

Lawrence: Would like to dock from what we're getting from facilities reserve.

Barry: Amount from HUB is calculated from anticipation of how much is going to be collected, then deduct allocations you've gone through and everything left is for facilities reserve.

Najee: Don't think I fully support proposal. Choosing between 2 larger increases to the fee. Health fee should be priority before environmental sustainability in order to enjoy out of class experience. Maybe gradual increase then go up.

University Health Services

Sydney: Recommending full funding. UHS in-house lab work - similar to STI testing. Typically covered by insurance, but only cover at lab provider. Takes much longer to get results. Also if you don't have insurance. Also protects confidentiality. EMS training and non-transport fee - all student workers that benefit - huge out of class. Employs 50 students per year. 500 students this year utilized EMS services. This costs \$200, which is usually a financial barrier cost. Community health - nature of UHS is different from health provider. UHS should play role of educational, preventative health. Case management - part of healthcare system, finding best resources for students. Removes barriers and ensures smooth transition in healthcare system. Medical clearances. All address different part of healthcare - immediacy of access, affordability, UHS. Did

provide data comparing Penn State to other Big10 schools. Temple is \$60 - twice as much as what Penn State's would be. Others already have Student Health. A lot of these schools in bigger cities, where students have more flexibility of choosing healthcare. Rural communities - health disparities come along. Don't have medical school on campus. UHS very communicative - also involving different advisory boards.

Barry: Enrollment number is 45 something.

Tony: Fully understand UHS doing great thing for students. But biggest concern is considering - if students have medical emergency, UHS is still first option when they do face medical emergency if they are living on campus. People on campus do not have ability to drive. Since this is \$30 per person increase, what do you expect is student response?

Sydney: That's one thing I've talked about is UHS misconception that it is an emergency health provider - more clinical services or consultative. For UHS to take on something more emergency medicine. That would be significant expansion of space and personnel. Only open from 9-5. 24/7 nurse advice line. But question that it's not an emergency health provider - seeing as part of student fee. Barrier. Community health aspect can address some of those things. So student do know when they can leverage as a resource.

Tony: Is there a way we can split this fee into an incremental increase? This is a long-term increase.

Sydney: Fact this is going to impact people by increasing \$30 per semester. Not trying to incrementally increase but add a fee, new aspect of student experience.

Najee: Completely support the fee. Struggle with the way some proposals are submitted. Disconnect between case managers and Student Affairs. Increase efficiencies and eliminate

redundancies. Would prefer direct physicals, but understand that would be more expensive. Case management, not sure about. Hope they will be more descriptive about that.

Sydney: Consolidating case management. Eating disorders, doesn't always require a clinician. Gender diverse care, which UHS provides, but case management would help them. Also answer questions about insurance. Anxiety, depression.

Lawrence: International travel component, can't you cover that in UPAC? Can you also put VISA cost onto application?

Sydney: Not just travel for extracurriculars, and don't know if UPAC would cover your visit. More so advice if you should get vaccines when travelling to other countries.

Alexa: No, you can't put VISA cost on application for UPAC.

Lawrence: Is there a deeper breakdown for the costs? Traveling across country, compete in class, feel like it would be in class. Wouldn't that count as in class?

Sydney: We could make recommendation to them. They didn't elaborate on costs related. Students could use travel for study abroad, which is in class.

Lawrence: Medical clearance. Do any physical education classes require a physical?

Sydney: Don't know about medical clearances.

Lawrence: EMS training and wages. How does that work now? EMS to UHS?

Sydney: You could be transported to Mt. Nittany, but Mt. Nittany would not be covering that cost. Don't know how training is paid for. Non-transport fee is directly charged to student, may ultimately fund training, uniform.

Lawrence: Do you know how lab-work number was calculated?

Sydney: I can look at the proposal.

Lawrence: This may be something we can look at as a pilot program. Is \$2.1M the cost it would cost to students?

Sydney: I'll ask them to clarify how they calculated that number and how that would be funded elsewhere.

C. Environmental Sustainability Fund

Bird Strike Proposal

Cierra: We recommended full funding. It was heavily focused on student internships. Whatever they do is not accredited with course credits. We would like to see yearly updates to make sure they're making progress with their project. Fee request is \$80,000.

Barry: These interns, are they being hired by a faculty mentor? If that's the case, this doesn't align with fee board mission - out of class experience. If hired by faculty mentor, then that's academic.

Tony: The project itself is student-initiated. But it's unclear.

Cierra: Faculty led vs. having faculty on project with them, what's distinction?

Barry: There's a line between out of class experience and whether it supports in class experience. Many had concerns about OGEEP proposal.

Lawrence: The main group behind it is PSU Bird Strikes, which is a grassroots community group. There's faculty involved, but I don't see much of what faculty will do. Interns will play large role. In proposal, "engaging interns in unique hands-on research and education opportunities." For this out of class experience, this education opportunity is learning about birds. Not specifically saying that it's about their major.

Cierra: This might be similar to Student Farm. Teaching anyone about farming and sustainability, so I find it comparable to that, but I understand the concern. I can follow up with this group to ensure the distinction this is out of class. Concerned about research as well.

Lawrence: Another concern is that the glass treatment is for the Susan Welch Liberal Arts Building, which is a classroom building - that is a classroom experience. I don't know if we'd be able to fund this.

Tony: Reason why they chose a liberal arts building is that it is currently under construction. It'd be easier to install windows without further interrupting college campus operations. Their proposal is similar to an in-class experience. Some of this can be salaried position or course credits. Necessary for us to write in justification letter - make sure they don't cross line into making classroom experience. However, I think this project is a good pilot to see how well installation of windows do. Also, research is unpredictable. We have to make sure we have updates on progress of research.

Lawrence: Anything going to ESF is going to impact a class building somewhere. It's also not a lot of money comparatively.

Najee: I would perhaps support the windows aspect. PR perspective - fee board has mission to holistically evaluate. Spend 2 years of out of state tuition, then I'm concerned about ethical nature of that. Also agree it would be interesting to see what would evolve. Don't feel comfortable spending \$80,000.

Lawrence: Did we see them last year? Their request is \$61,400.

Sydney: I'm struggling on the out of class experience. I don't feel it's an in class experience, but feel like this is more of a research proposal. There are other things supporting out of class experience more than bird biodiversity.

D. Equity Fund

Community & Belonging Educators

Najee: A Student Affairs curriculum-based way to connect to different communities. Facilitate teaching through students. Falls within guidelines, and committee voted to grant it full funding.

Tony: Just make sure it's not course related.

Graduate Student Community Space

Modified proposal differed from original. Falls within lines of criteria. Committee voted to grant full funding. Comprehensive and stressed deficits of an out-of-class space within that realm of study.

Modified after furniture, taken into account of if it is not included. If it is included, this number will lower.

Cierra: For graduate student space, what we would be funding is new furniture, correct? Space itself needs to be renovated. Providing furniture but no space for it to be in.

Lawrence: This is just based on proposal, with expectation of lowering if keeping furniture.

Cierra: I was curious about decision to fund furniture and not renovations.

Full request was \$184,000.

Brian: Is there a cap on equity fund?

Lawrence: Have reserve carry-over and won't affect increase. Equity fund request cannot go over \$400,000 plus reserves.

Free Menstrual Product Access

Sydney: Days for Girls has piloted a program in two most trafficked buildings - HUB and library. Evaluate whether this would be abused. Also conducted survey to evaluate need. Found it was very well needed. Worked with UPUA and OPP to develop a proposal and cautionary measures to implement this campus-wide. Had conversations with OPP, which will fund all products. Only cost SFB is taking on is splitting 50/50 to install dispensers. One-time cost. Not be continued in future. All of this is supporting menstruating people on campus. Basic need that many other universities already offer. Recommendation is full funding.

Lawrence: Would there be concerns about outing people?

Sydney: Gender neutral restrooms are almost entirely single restrooms. Would not have concern of accessing menstrual products. Were discussions about expanding to men's restrooms, but finding more discrete ways. Part of surveying was geared toward trans males. They reported they wanted to see alternative to having in men's restrooms.

Lawrence: Some of this money would come from leftover equity funding, since we only spent \$300,000 last year. Equity Fund per year isn't changing. Don't have to worry if they will keep on going.

Pollock Halls Pilot Subsidized Laundry Program

Ava: Presented by Black Caucus, partnered with UPUA. Program you have to apply for and be accepted. Works with washing and drying machines. Supporting students in unrenovated and underdeveloped parts of campus. Looking to expand past Pollock in the future.

Barry: Where is money going to go? Who will receive?

Ava: It's also partnered with Campus and Residence Life, I can double check.

Brian: I'm not sure how this will be structured with regards to money being given out in certain direction.

Ava: The application process goes through campus housing so I anticipate we would be giving the \$27,000 to them for them to distribute to individual students who have applied to use as they see fit. I emailed Ava Starks (president of Black Caucus and contact for this proposal) a few of the questions that we had so I will have more information on the logistics of this program probably next time we meet.

Cierra: At the time, not much discussion about which office to implement this. Yearly reviews, some metrics to see if offices are utilizing funds.

Najee: If we can include these in our notes, we can start method of accountability for utilization and impact about that project.

VI. Chair Report

Lawrence: Regarding new handbook language, I'm going to be reaching out to Counsels tomorrow to see what they say. Issues: Definition, Section 8.2 Item 18 "with substantial component or purpose that is in furtherance of any discriminatory harassment." I'm bringing up 3 options - "in furtherance of," "whose primary purpose is," and "with a substantial component or purpose found to be not in compliance with University Policy...."

Money for ESF is \$400,000, and money for Equity Fund is \$400,000. Already factored in. That amount is not changing.

Friday is when we'll vote on each fee. I'll also fill you in on the handbook. If there are any non monetary recommendations (e.g., student advisory boards), we will also have to vote on them. I will send out an email about that tomorrow.

We will talk to Jolinda about reserves. For the Equity Fund and ESF, we want to make sure they're below \$400,000 plus carryover.

VII. Comments for Good of the Order

VIII. Closing Roll Call

Meeting adjourned at 5:37 p.m.